Dr. Hassan Shehata
Mr Hassan Shehata MD FRCOG FRCPI is a UK based Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and a subspecialist in Maternal Medicine. He in the head of department for women’s health at Epsom and St. Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust. He is also an Honorary Senior Lecturer in Obstetrics & Gynaecology at St George’s Hospital Medical School, University of London.
Following training in obstetrics and gynaecology at several London university hospitals, he embarked in subpecializing in maternal medicine at St Thomas’s hospital in London. He achieved membership and fellowship of both Royal Colleges of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and Physicians of Ireland. He is included in the General Medical Council’s Obstetrics & Gynaecology Specialist register (4346007).
- recurrent pregnancy loss
- immune problems in fertility
- pre-conception counseling
- polycystic ovarian syndrome
- medical problems in pregnancy such as diabetes, obesity, epilepsy etc.
- Full private Obstetric service including antenatal and postnatal care and delivery at Epsom hospital and the Portland hospital, London.
- recurrent miscarriages
- reproductive immunology
- thrombosis, renal disease and obstetric cholestasis.
- Diabetes in preganancy
- Obesity in pregnancy
- Date of birth: 25 October 1964
- Medical Licenses: GMC 4346007 Obstetrics and Gynaecology Specialist register
- Marital Status: Married – 4 children
- MRCOG Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 1997
- MRCPI Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 1998
- FRCOG Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 2009
- FRCOG Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 2010
- Subspecialist Registrar in Maternal Medicine: 01.08.99 – 01.04.01. Dept of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, St.Thomas’s Hospital, London.
- Senior Registrar in Obstetrics & Gynaecology: 01.08.98 – 31.07.99. St Helier’s Hospital, Surrey.
- Specialist Registrar in Obstetrics & Gynaecology: 01.05.95 – 31.07.98 Rotation – South West Thames, London / Surrey
National & International Committees
- British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society : Executive committee member, National Trainees Representative – Elected at annual meeting March 2000 – 2002
- Physicians for Human Rights PHR (UK) : Executive committee member. An international independent human rights organization – Elected at annual meeting 1996 – 2001
- Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health (CEMACH)
- Panel assessor – Diabetes London Region – 2004 to 2005
- South West Thames Diabetes Pregnancy Group
- Founder and chairman – 2003 to date
- McDonald (UK Maternal Medicine) Club
- Active member – London Region – 2001 to date
- International Society of Obstetric Medicine (ISOM) – Member from 2004 to date
- English & Arabic
- Haematological profile of women in pregnancy and the puerperium – 1993/94 – Colchester. Essex County Trustees – £12,000
- The role of steroids in recurrent miscarriages – 2002. Epsom & St Helier Trsut R&D Fund + Lister hospital – £35,000
- Iron supplementation in pregnancy – 2002. Epsom & St Helier Trsut R&D Fund – £13,000
- The role of cytatin C in pregnancy – 2002. Epsom & St Helier Trust R&D Fund – £28,000
- Diabetes in pregnancy – 2009 to date. Epsom & St Helier Trust R&D Fund – £100,000
- Waist Circumference in pregnancy – 2009 to date. Epsom & St Helier Trust R&D Fund – £125,000
- Metformin in obese pregnant women (MOP) trial – 2010 to date. Epsom & St Helier Trust R&D Fund and Fetal Medicine Foundation – £250,000
- Red cell distribution width (RDW) changes in pregnancy
Shehata HA, Ali MM, Evans-Jones JC, Upton GJ, Manyonda IT.
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1998 Jul;62(1):43-6.
- Fasciitis: a rare complication of Burch colposuspension
Georgiou M, Shehata HA, Chaliha C, Byrne PD, McWhinney NA, Gough PM.
BJOG. 2001 Feb;108(2):227-9.
- Management of pregnancy in antiphospholipid syndrome
Shehata HA, Nelson-Piercy C, Khamashta MA.
Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2001 Aug;27(3):643-59. Review.
- Internal jugular vein thrombosis after assisted conception therapy.
Arya R, Shehata HA, Patel RK, Sahu S, Rajasingam D, Harrington KF, Nelson-Piercy C, Parsons JH.
Br J Haematol. 2001 Oct;115(1):153-5.
- Recurrent miscarriage and autoimmunity
Bansal AS, Bajardeen B, Shehata HA, Thum MY.
Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2011 Jan;7(1):37-44. Review.
- Pregnancy outcomes in women with gestational diabetes treated with metformin or insulin: a case-control study.
Balani J, Hyer SL, Rodin DA, Shehata HA.
Diabet Med. 2009 Aug;26(8):798-802.
- Uterus didelphys in mosaic trisomy 8 patient: Management and fertility issues.
Shehata HA, Gharaibeh A, Bramham K, Lamb G, Makanjuola D.
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2008 Nov;141(1):91-2. Epub 2008 Oct 8. No abstract available.
- Diabetes in pregnancy: a review of current evidence.
Kapoor N, Sankaran S, Hyer S, Shehata HA.
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Dec;19(6):586-90. Review.
- Menorrhagia and bleeding disorders.
El-Hemaidi I, Gharaibeh A, Shehata HA.
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Dec;19(6):513-20. Review.
- Successful pregnancy in a patient with end-stage renal failure secondary to HIV nephropathy on peritoneal dialysis.
Asgari E, Bramham K, Shehata HA, Makanjuola D.
Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2007 Dec;22(12):3671. Epub 2007 Sep 11.
- The relationship of systemic TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma with IVF treatment outcome and peripheral blood NK cells.
Thum MY, Abdalla HI, Bhaskaran S, Harden EL, Ford B, Sumar N, Shehata HA, Bansal A.
Am J Reprod Immunol. 2007 Mar;57(3):210-7.
- The effect of serum concentration of leukaemia inhibitory factor on in vitro fertilization treatment outcome.
Thum MY, Abdalla HI, Bhaskaran S, Harden EL, Ford B, Sumar N, Shehata HA, Bansal AS.
Am J Reprod Immunol. 2006 Jan;55(1):76-80.
- Simple enumerations of peripheral blood natural killer (CD56+ NK) cells, B cells and T cells have no predictive value in IVF treatment outcome.
Thum MY, Bhaskaran S, Bansal AS, Shehata HA, Ford B, Sumar N, Abdalla HI.
Hum Reprod. 2005 May;20(5):1272-6. Epub 2005 Apr 13.
- Towards the modern management of ectopic pregnancy: a complete audit cycle of practice in a London teaching hospital.
Oyelese KO, Shehata HA, Hussain S, Manyonda I.
J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999 May;19(3):276-9.
- An increase in the absolute count of CD56dimCD16+CD69+ NK cells in the peripheral blood is associated with a poorer IVF treatment and pregnancy outcome.
Thum MY, Bhaskaran S, Abdalla HI, Ford B, Sumar N, Shehata HA, Bansal AS.
Hum Reprod. 2004 Oct;19(10):2395-400. Epub 2004 Aug 19.
- Use of cyclosporin in pregnancy.
Jayaprakash A, Gould S, Lim AG, Shehata HA.
Gut. 2004 Sep;53(9):1386-7.
- Obstetric complications of twin pregnancies.
Rao A, Sairam S, Shehata HA.
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2004 Aug;18(4):557-76.
- Neurological disorders in pregnancy.
Shehata HA, Okosun H.
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Apr;16(2):117-22.
- Drugs in pregnancy. Drugs to avoid.
Shehata HA, Nelson-Piercy C.
Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2001 Dec;15(6):971-86.